Video too slow or too fast?
If you click on the YouTube icon in the right bottom corner of the video ("Watch on YouTube") you will end up on YouTube and will be able to make the video faster or even more slowly.
Macular degeneration and genetics
Spoken text of the video
Section 1: Intro
Chapter 32. Age-related macular degeneration and genetics. This is a specific training for the AMD Sensor genetic test. You will find this test here in the overview. As you can see here, it has two functions. It is important for prevention and this test will help with early diagnosis. In case of treatment, it is not as effective. So, this test will not be recommended for people who have already developed macular degeneration, but for prevention and early detection.
Section 2: Overview
Just a quick overview, macular degeneration is the most common cause of blindness for people over sixty. It is about the gradual degeneration of the retina, the light sensitive cells in your eyes. As you can see here, it starts exactly where you want to look, in the center field of vision. Here, it becomes blurry and grey and eventually you do not see anything anymore. This can spread out from there and most people always retain the outside field of view but they cannot read or anything like it. Then, it is irreparable damage. Once the damage has been done, it is usually impossible to recover the function.
Therefore, prevention is very important in this case. There are a number of known risk factors. If we look at one of the genes, HTRA1, HtrA Serine Peptidase1. This here is kind of a catalogue number for the genetic variation. This is what the gene does. You can read up on it. In case this table does not mean anything to you, please do check the training for simple disease risk statistics, which will explain this to you in more detail. This person has a G/G genotype. A G on each gene. 51 % of the general population have this genetic type as well. This would be no increased risk of macular degeneration. 41 % have an A/G. they have a 2.2 fold risk. Again, the odds ratio is explained in the simple disease risk statistics. 8 % have an 8.6 fold risk. This is the science behind it in case you are interested to check this up. You will find this exact form in the report.
The second gene is actually not really a gene. it is a genetic location where certain genetic variations have shown to be associated with the disease. 1% would have an increased risk of an odds ratio of 8. That is an 8 fold risk. 38 % have a risk of 2.69. So, 16 9% higher risk. 61 %, the majority, would have no increased risk. Again, this is the science behind it. This is the last gene. One genetic type would have an odds ratio of 4 and the other type 12 fold risk. Now, we would do this test. We could combine all of this information together and in the end we create this kind of bars. So, this arrow shows you where you are. You can be normal risk. You can be highly increased risk. The further you are on this bar, the higher your risk is. The more important prevention is for you, the more important early detection is.
Scientific studies have shown that high concentration of antioxidants, certain vitamins, is beneficial against the development or the progression of the disease. Therefore, a high antioxidant diet or therapy is recommended for high risks. Also, if you ordered the Nutrition Sensor, this table of different food types that are rated according to your genetics, it is going to take this into account. If you have a high risk and you ordered the Nutrition Sensor, you are going to be recommended food types that contain antioxidants. In addition, we do have this supplement where we take all of these antioxidants in the right dosage based on your genetic risk to make sure you get the right dosage of each one of these vitamins.
As I said, the test is useful for prevention as well as for early detection. In case you already have the disease, the test is not going to give you any benefits. So, I really would not recommend it for people who are already affected by the disease, but for people who have not had the disease yet.
Section 3: Prevention
One of the important preventive measures that can be done is avoid UV radiation to the eyes. The sun has UV radiation, that is why you can get skin cancer. So, there is bad radiation in sun light. You should do your best to avoid getting too much UV radiation into your eyes. This can be done by sunglasses as well as by a hat to really try to reduce exposure of sun light to your eyes. That is the most important factor.
Then, you should avoid smoking because it produces a lot of waste products that then accumulate inside the retina and that they can accelerate the development of the disease. It is not just about lung cancer, smoking has a number of other detrimental effects as well. Then, you should follow an antioxidant therapy where you eat a lot of food that contains high amounts of antioxidants. This is the prevention. If you do this, you can reduce your risk. You have a high genetic risk, but you have optimized your lifestyle to reduce your risk again.
Section 4: Early Detection
Early detection is the next part. With early detection, there is a self-test that you can do. This is actually a part you will find in the report. If this test shows you that you have the first signs of the disease, you can immediately go to your doctor and get timely treatment to slow the progression of the disease and maybe stop it completely. This here is the test.
The instructions are in the report but what you do is you hold this grid around 30 centimeters, about a foot, in front of your eyes. Close one eye with your hand and you look at the dot in the middle. Then, if any of the lines you see are straight, this is good. If they are kind of wavy, this might be the first signs of a change in your retina. Then, you should go and talk to your doctor immediately. You do the same for the other eye. You do this regularly, once a week, you will find the first change immediately, talk to your doctor and then you can get the best possible treatment because you recognized it in time. As I said, if you wait until you have the first vision problems, these are very likely not to go away anymore.
This is the end of chapter 32, macular degeneration and genetics, a specific training for the AMD Sensor genetic test.